News Archive

  • The B&H Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg matches took place on Thursday 31st with Sheffield Steelers losing 3-1 at Lower Parliament Street against Nottingham Panthers. The aggregate score was 6-3 after Nottingham had won at the House Of Plastic on Saturday. Dave Simms and Bob Ballard enjoyed the fun commentating to the North on BBC Radio Sheffield. Paul Adey scored the opening goal for Nottingham, Tony Hand equalised, but Panthers scored two more goals from Mike Blaisdell, the second coming in the dying seconds with Steelers having pulled Greco.

  • On Thursday 31 October at 7.00pm, two Storm players appeared amongst the likes of Ryan Giggs at the Arndale Centre, Manchester outside Warner Brothers to launch the Arndale's festive festivities.

  • The future of Telford Tigers appears to have been secured after a cash injection from Romulus, a Midlands company.

  • The Allsports sponsored Solihull Blaze have their own TV show on Birmingham Live, a cable TV channel in the Midlands. The programme features game highlights and interviews and goes out betwen 7.00 and 8.00 every Monday evening.

  • Sun 27 Oct - Storm 2 Steelers 7 was the score. What can you say about this game except AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!! We had enough chances in the match but wasted most of them. Sheffield go back to the top of the Super League after the win in front of a(nother) record crowd at the Nynex. 11,405 saw the game beating the crowd for the Panthers match the previous week. The scorers for Steelers were David Longstaff (2), Frank Kovacs (2), Glenn Mulvenna, Tony Hand and Jamie Leach. Storm's goals were scored by Mike Morin and Eric Calder. Mark Pallister went on the rampage at the start of the post game awards to cap a strange night.

  • Also on Sunday 27th, Cardiff Devils beat Basingstoke Bison 6-4. There were four goals in 12 minutes that saw Cardiff overcome a shaky start to the game. Steve Moria, Mike Ware, Doug McEwan, Kip Noble, Ian Cooper and Doug McCarthy were the scorers. Mark Ellis, Chris Brent, Peter Romeo and Rob Stewart scored for Bison.

  • Sat 26 Oct - Newcastle Cobras 5 - 3 Storm. Newcastle went top after defeating Storm. Storm took the lead after just 30 seconds with a Jeff Sebastian goal. Koskela equalised for Cobras after 12 minutes, and then took the lead at the end of the first period with a powerplay goal from Hantschke. Inter The Storm sponsored Chad Penney scored the equaliser on 35 minutes before Newcastle scored another powerplay goal from Kelly Askew on 38 minutes. Brad Rubachuk scored the equaliser at the start of the third period to make it 3-3. MacLeod scored the fourth for Cobras and Storm then went all out for the equaliser to take the game into overtime. Newcastle hit Storm on the break with a goal from Justin Duberman in the last 30 seconds to seal the game.

  • There were some new tunes out at last at the Nynex for the Sheffield game. I've forgotten most now but I remember Ooh Aah Just a Little Bit by Gina G and that Macarena one. There were also loads of programmes (die of shock!) - have Dave Biggar et al finally realised that more than just the first couple of hundred fans actually want a programme? It could have had something to do with the fact that it was a slightly disappointing crowd. There might have been over 11,000 there, but over 13000 were expected!

  • Thu 24 Oct - Basingstoke Bison stunned Cardiff Devils by winning 7-4. Man of the Match Richard Little scored four Bison goals. Cardiff would have gone top if they had won. Basingstoke meanwhile have moved into 5th place level on points with Storm.

  • Wed 23 Oct - Sheffield Steelers went back to the top of the table on Wednesday night. The game against Newcastle Cobras was live on BBC Radio Sheffield. Tommy Plommer put Steelers in front against the run of play. Sheffield eventually ran out 4-1 winners with further goals from Frank Kovacs, Ken Priestlay and a last minute goal from Rob Wilson. Newcastle dropped down to second in the table.

  • Former Storm player Mark Stokes "The Engine" has signed for Whitley Warriers. He scored two goals on his debut against Paisley Pirates.

  • A Luleň fan from Sweden sent an e-mail to INTER THE STORM giving his view on Storm's 10-6 defeat in the European League a few weeks ago.

    He also sent me a photo of the Luleň netminder that was injured so that we can check him out when he plays. Errm, thanks!


  • Daryl Lipsey has a new role at Storm - on the bench alongside John Lawless. Lipsey had agreed that if new players were signed and he was dropped from the team, then he would step down on to the bench. He was already Assistant Coach, but this will become more of a helping position to Lawless on the bench. It seems that John Lawless will run the lines and call the changes, while Daryl will help in key situations like penalty killing on the powerplays. He will become John's extra pair of eyes. Sounds good, but then so does Ooh Aah Just A Little Bit :-)

  • Tue 22 Oct - Berlin Capitals came to the Nynex and won 4-2. It looked for a long time like Storm would get their first ever EHL win - it may be their last chance for a long time. Berlin took the lead inside the first period before Woodcroft scored to equalise. Berlin scored again to make the first period score 2-1. Storm came out in the second period like a team possessed and immediately equalised again with a goal from Jeff Sebastian. Woodcroft had the chance to put Storm into the lead when Storm were awarded a penalty shot, only for the shot to be saved. Berlin wrapped the game up scoring two more goals. The final 3 minutes were interesting as Berlin had 2 off the ice and Storm ditched the netminder giving them a 3 man attacking advantage, but Berlin held on, coming very close twice to scoring in Storm's empty net. The crowd of 4831 was very good considering the game faced off at 4.30 on a Tuesday afternoon and it was shown live on Satellite (DSF German sports channel) and also live on cable TV (Nynex Channel 25). The game was repeated on cable at 6.00pm Wednesday. The other game in the group was TPS Turku 3-3 Lulea.

  • Mark Slater, captain of Northern Premier League side Castlereagh Knights, has left the club because the players cars that were promised never appeared!

  • In the English League, Blackburn Seagulls dramatically lost 50-0 at home to Billingham Eagles! Billingham had 115 shots to Blackburn's 10.

  • Sun 20 Oct - STORM 6 - 2 PANTHERS !! Manchester Storm stormed up the Super League table now with another win, this time taming the Nottingham Panthers 6-2. Ruggles, Woodcroft, Zavisha and Byram scored some of the goals with Nick Poole winning Man of the Match. Storm were 2-0 down at the end of the first period! It was 3-2 within just over 5 minutes of the second with another goal before the end of the second. Two more goals were scored in the third to cap a thrilling performance. It was a record Super League crowd with almost 11,000 in attendance at the Nynex. Also, Bracknell Bees have their sting pulled out losing 7-0 at home to new Super League leaders Newcastle Cobras. In the other game, Cardiff Devils moved second after stuffing Ayr 8-2 away. Sheffield Steelers went down to third with Storm 4th in the table.

  • Sat 19 Oct - Storm lost out 6-5 at Basingstoke Bison after overtime with the winner coming 2 minutes into the extra period. Storm get 1 point for losing in overtime, so at least that's not too bad. Sheffield Steelers dramatically lost for the first time at home in 2 years as Bracknell thrashed them 5-1 in the House of Steel. Nottingham Panthers also lost at home - to Ayr Scottish Eagles by 6 goals to 3.

  • John Finnie was involved in a freak injury last week. The Manchester Evening News reports that while watching the TV the other night, he suddenly remembered that the tea was burning and so in an attempt to get to the kitchen quickly, kicked the door and broke his toe. I assume he won't be out injured because of this.

  • Simon Ferry, released by Storm at the end of last season has joined Stevenage Oilers. He made his debut on 13 October and got a cut face after battling with someone else's skate!

  • Thu 17 Oct - Storm won 4-2 away at Ayr Scottish Eagles. Ayr lead 1-0 after the first period, but Storm came back with two Craig Woodcroft goals in the second. Hilton Ruggles finished the game off with a goal with 2 minutes to go. There was more upset as Basingstoke Bison got their first Super League victory over second-placed Newcastle Cobras with a 10-8 win.

    [Back to Latest News Index]

    These pages are maintained by Simon Sandiford-Mitchell and hosted by U-Net.